Friday, May 14, 2010

WRW RETREAT: IN THE COMPANY OF WRITERS

By Louise Fury


A few weeks ago, I had the fortunate pleasure of attending the Washington RWA's chapter retreat. From the minute I stepped into the historic Carradoc Hall Inn in Leesburg, Virginia, it was as if I had been transported into another world. The hotel itself is attached to a stately 1747 mansion home, one filled with old world ambiance; rocking chairs, secret underground rooms and on this occasion, many wonderfully talented and extremely generous romance writers.

I was not there but 5 minutes when the fabulous author Mary Blaney spied the ribbon declaring me a first timer and proceeded to buy me a drink, declared us friends and then introduced me to the lovely Mary Lenaburg. And for three wonderful days, it was all new friends, copious amounts of alcohol, book swapping, games, shared secrets and fun.

Roxanne St. Claire kicked off the conference with a fun drinking game disguised as a speech and had everyone chugging their drinks and splitting their seams with her version of the RWA food pyramid for writers ---- Swedish fish, Diet Coke, cheezits, coffee and pringles...this woman knows her stuff and looks hot to boot. I'm in!

Charlaine Harris and her editor Ginger Buchanan mingled with everyone and spent a lot of time chatting with guests over meals about writing, family and the 20-year myth of "instant success."

But honestly, I had the most fun chatting with Cathy Maxwell, Deb B. and Mary Blaney about Life, Lust and Love. Secrets were spilled and quickly buried in the vault, before we took the questions out of the ballroom and into the hallways.

I spent the next hour gasping at the deliciously scandalous tales of many of my favorite romance writers, it is no accident that their books are so good!

This entire experience was like being at summer camp, I cannot wait for 2011! So keep your eyes out for next year's dates, because this is one retreat you shouldn't miss. ♥




Louise Fury is a Literary Agent with the L. Perkins Agency. She is currently building her list. Find her on the web at http://www.louisefury.blogspot.com/.

5 comments:

  1. I'm sold! I'll have to keep an eye out for next year's retreat. Glad you had such a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Louise – Thanks for the update. Charlaine Harris is terrific. I always love reading about her journey as a writer (she was profiled in the NY Times magazine section a few weeks ago) extremely inspiring stuff for the rest of us. Plus Sookie Stackhouse is one of my favorite characters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear it was a fabulous conference. I was planning on going but then my mother came to the city and so of course all bets were off. (we had a fabulous time!) Next year though I definitely want to be there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like so much fun! I'd love to go. Thanks for telling us all about the retreat Louise!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the update Louise. That Roxanne is too funny!

    ReplyDelete